About the West Augustine Improvement Assocation
- The West Augustine Improvement Association was founded in 1956 by Nellie Meade out of concern for the upkeep of the cemeteries in West Augustine.
- It later grew into a neighborhood association concerned with the betterment of the community as well.
- In recent years The West Augustine Improvement Association has acquired the Pinehurst and San Sebastian Cemeteries on Pearl Street, two of the oldest African American cemeteries in Florida.
- The West Augustine Improvement Association is a non-profit organization.
- We are currently raising funds mainly towards regular upkeep of the cemeteries, towards hosting cemetery clean ups and improving the West Augustine community.
- We are always working to support the betterment of the community through various efforts, and we are also concerned with preserving the history of West Augustine.